Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Fickled Fate of Friendship

It's about friendship. You see, I'm a sensitive girl. I know, I don't come off that way, that's a defense mechanism, and you know it. But some friendships really matter to me. So when a friend goes away or disappears, I tend to feel a tad blue and worry what happened. I know, don't take it personally. But what if it *does* have something to do with me? I think I'd like to know. I think I'd want to make amends and/or talk it out. When we're not given that explanation, then the ends are left hanging, dangling out there. That's unpleasant. I'm a believer in open, honest communication. I don't like games, or mixed messages, or unanswered questions. It makes me feel confused and frustrated, and sad. Ugh.

But on another note, also to do with friendship, I have some amazing friends. Spent an excellent weekend with lots of them, old and new. Come Monday I was exhausted, but it was a lot of fun right up through midnight Sunday. And my daughter had a fun weekend with a friend and her family at Westmoreland, so Sunday night when we finally got together again, she was all chatty about her weekend, and we talked and talked, just like friends. Obviously I love my daughter; but I also really, really like her. She is turning into a pretty awesome human being, and I am so very blessed to have her in my life.

4 comments:

  1. I went through this just a short time ago. I reached out and reached out and nothing. I still don't know what really happened and things are different now, but that's not a bad thing. People come and go from our lives and apparently levels of friendship change as well. Sometimes assumptions are made. Sometimes people are afraid of telling the truth. Sometimes we just can't know (though some up front, direct, honest communication is just, well...awesome).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to lose a friend. It's harder to not know why. I'm sorry.

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Em and Lara. Yes, it's the not knowing why, and the switch from open and trusting to silence and avoidance.

    We never stop learning...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of all the things in my life, I think this is what hurts the most. Feel for you, sister.

    ReplyDelete